Welcome to the GHIN system! Here’s our 4 easy steps to help get you started tracking your Handicap Index.
STEP 1 – Sign up to get your official GHIN number. Be sure to write this number down or save your physical card somewhere easily accessible because it’s kind of like your golfer’s identification number. You’ll use it a lot! For every round of golf played this is the number you will need to record your score for Handicap Index tracking purposes. (NOTE: Don’t have your GHIN yet? Click here.)
STEP 2 – Start golfing! In order to establish your first Handicap Index you will need to record a total of five 18-hole rounds, ten 9-hole rounds, or a combination of the two. (NOTE: You are more than welcome to record post-dated scores so long as you have your scorecard for reference.)
STEP 3 – Enter your scores. There are a few places you can do this and whatever is easiest for you is the best option.
- Where to post:
- Download the free GHIN Mobile app – easy, on the go, and remembers your GHIN number for you.
- Visit SOCALGolfer.org and select “Post a Score” from the left hand side navigation bar.
- Visit SCGA.org and select “Handicap” from the top navigation bar and then select “Post a Score” from the drop down menu.
- Most golf courses will have a kiosk inside their pro shop where you are more than welcome to post your score following your round.
- How to post:
- Enter your GHIN Number and last name. (NOTE: If you have a long last name the system might not let you enter every letter. Enter as many as it will and it will still work.)
- Select the date you played.
- Your type of round will be considered “Away” because SOCAL Golfer is an eClub and not tied to only one course.
- Next select if it was 18 holes or 9 holes and leave the Rating/Slope Entry with the Course/Entry option.
- Then select which course you played by narrowing down the State and Starts With. If you can’t find the course, let us know!
- Enter which tees you played from – red, white, gold, blue, black, etc.
- Enter your score.
- Hit submit.
STEP 4 – Generate your first Handicap Index (going from NH to an actual number). If you’re new to GHIN (or returning from being inactive for awhile) you’ll notice that your first Handicap Index is listed as NH which stands for “No Handicap”. In order to establish your first true index you’ll need the minimum number of rounds recorded… AND it has to be after an eRevision date. GHIN generates indexes on the 1st and 15th of every single month and you’ll receive an email alerting you of the update to your index.
- What if I’ve entered my required minimum and it’s only the 12th of the month? Your index will state NH until the 15th.
- What if I’ve entered my required minimum and it’s the 15th of the month? Your index will state NH until the 1st.
- What if I’ve entered my required minimum, it’s the 10th of the month but I’m playing in a tournament in three days and need my Handicap Index to compete? Simply give us a call or email us to Handicaps@socalgolfer.org and we can manually generate what’s called a Modified Index based on your trend. (NOTE: A Modified Index is signified with an “M” or an “L” and is acceptable for tournament play. You must have your required minimum scores recorded in order for us to generate your trend index. We will set your Modified Index to expire prior to the next upcoming eRevision.)
Questions? Three easy ways we can help!
- Enter your question in our simple form in the upper right hand corner of our Handicap Corner page.
- Email direct to your regional Handicap Chair – listed in the upper right hand corner of our Handicap Corner page.
- Email direct to firstname.lastname@example.org
Ready to join as a SOCAL Golfer member? Sign up today and get your 12 month membership. Special annual rate for only $49!
Already a member? Sign into your account and select “Renew Membership” to get your annual rate for only $49!